The following mindfulness, meditation and complementary resources are provided to support anyone in their search for information and tools to support their mindfulness, meditation and yoga practices. Emily Moody is based in Montreal, thus you will find many of the recommendations are specific to Montreal, Quebec and Eastern Canada.
- 3 Minute Breathing Exercise – and other useful mindfulness exercises
- Free Mindfulness Project: an assortment of many different mindfulness meditations
- Center for Mindfulness Guided Meditations: body scans & seated meditations for the MBSR
- Tara Brach – mindfulness talks and meditations, with a new podcast added every week.
- Guided Meditations with Dr. Rick Hanson – author of Hardwiring Happiness (2013)
- OMG I can Meditate – easy and free meditations that you can download onto your phone, good for adults and children
- Mindfulness Exercises for Anxiety – companion site to the book the Mindful Way through Anxiety
- Tara Brach Video: Hands off the Control
- Tara Brach Video: Finding the juice inside the fear
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy ABCD worksheet – how to identify beliefs and search for more helpful alternatives
- Anxiety Happens – Chad Lejeune’s companion site to his book The Worry Trap, includes explanation of how anxiety works and exercises on how to free yourself from worry and anxiety.
- Passengers on the Bus Video – Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) video demonstrates how to not let anxiety take over your bus.
- Guest at a Party Video – Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) video demonstrates how to welcome the unwanted guest of anxiety.
- How Does Mindfulness Reduce Depression? – Article by Dr. John Teasdale
- Audio recordings from Mindfulness-Cognitive Based Therapy for Depression – You will need to register first with Guilford Press to access these files (free of charge)
- Video on Depression as a Black Dog by World Health Organization
- Self Compassion.org: Guided self compassion exercises and meditations by Dr. Kristen Neff, scroll down for her interesting Ted Talk that describes the difference between Self Esteem and Self-Compassion.
- Self Compassion Test – Find out your level of self-compassion with this on-line survey by Dr. Kristen Neff.
- Tara Brach Video: Sure Heart’s Release – How judgement of ourselves and others creates separation and self-protection, this podcast has a great meditation on seeking approval
- www.dharmaseed.com – Wonderful site with free podcasts from Buddhist meditation teachers in English, french and other languages from all over the world.
- https://insighttimer.com/ – Meditation App for iPhone or Android, includes many free guided meditations
- NPR Invisibilia podcast – the secret history of thoughts and how mindfulness helps us to accept rather than change or resist our thoughts.
- Fake it Till you Make it – Social psychologist Amy Cuddy’s Ted talk on how body posture can affect and cortisol levels in the brain, and might even have an impact on our chances for success.
- All it Takes is 10 Minutes – Mindfulness expert Andy Puddicombe describes the transformative power of doing just nothing.
- Values vs. Goals: Short video by Russ Harris describing the ACT therapy notion of focusing on values vs. goals
- Values shopping mall – This exercise will help you identify your core values.
- Self Compassion Test – Find out your level of self-compassion with this on-line survey by Dr. Kristen Neff.
- Signature Strengths – This site at the University of Pennsylvania allows you to test your personal strengths and areas of happiness. These tests are free, you just need to register and then can retake them at any time. For an explanation of the 24 signature strengths you can visit Dr. Martin Seligman’s site.
- Life Trap Test – Find out which of the 18 main early maladaptive schemas (EMS) you may be following in your life.
- Happify: Mindful coaching site that guides you to take a happiness level test and then recommends certain podcasts and mindfulness exercises based on your results.
Mindfulness in Your Relationships:
- The Couple Dialogue – How to practice mindful listening
- Non-Violent Communications – Explanation of the 4 Steps (with a video at bottom)
- Stop, Wait, Go article by Susan Chapman
Mindful Separation & Divorce
- Guide for Parents going through Separation or Divorce published by Health Canada with useful information, such as how a child’s age and stage of development will impact their response and needs during this transition, as well as how to build a cooperative co-parenting relationship.
- True North Insight: a nonprofit center for the practice of insight meditation in English and French in Eastern Canada. TNI’s programming includes residential retreats, day-long retreats, non-residential daily life retreats, and weekly sitting groups in the regions of Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Kingston. Weekly sits in Montreal, see website for schedule.
- Montreal Institute of Applied Mindfulness (Thich Nhat Hanh tradition)
- Sivananda Yoga Centre: (Weekly satsang sittings on Wednesdays at 8 pm and Sundays at 7 pm)
- Art of Living Montreal: community yoga, weekly Saturday satsang sittings and community dinners
- Om West: (West Island) Art of Living meditation sittings in the West Island on Sundays at 4:30 pm and Tuesdays at 6:15 pm
- Zen Montreal: workshops and weekly sittings
- Shambala Buddhist Centre of Montreal: meditation courses, weekly sitting
- http://www.suttama.dhamma.org (Vipassana Meditation in the Goenka Tradition based out of Montabello Quebec: 10 days of silence for starting retreat)
- http://www.sivananda.org/camp – Sivananda Yoga Camp in Val Morin. There is a shuttle that leaves every Friday evening from the Montreal center and returns Sunday afternoon.
- http://www.eomega.org – Yoga and wellness center based out of Rhinebeck, NY
- http://www.kripalu.org – Yoga and wellness center in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts
- http://www.dharma.org – Insight Meditation based out of Barre, Massachusetts
Massage & Homeopathy:
- Sonia Osorio (Mile End) – Master’s level training in homeopathic medicine (DHom), massage therapist and a certified yoga instructor
- Jasmine de Jager (Outremont) – therapeutic massages; lomi lomi, deep tissue, sports massage, thai yoga massage, pre-and post natal, myo fascia, as well as Swedish. (massage & n.d. receipts): 514-569-2006.
- Pierre Boudreau (Mile End) – Thai Yoga Massage and Tai Chi: 514.274.0474
- Claudette Au-Soon (Rosemont, Plateau) – Shiatsu, yin, Yoga, Qi-gong, Taiji
- Albert Lee (Mile End) – Thai Yoga Massage and Ayurvedic treatments (massage & n.d. receipts): 514.553.8360
- Noah Browman (Plateau/Montreal)- Swedish massage, Massokinesitherapy, fascia, deep tissue, chair and passive mobilization techniques. FQM member. Treatment available at clinic or in your home by appointment. 514-813-2800 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gordon Young (Montreal) – Thai Yoga Massage, Shiatsu, Swedish, Hot Stone
- Dr. Melanie Kusznireckyj – BSc, ND, Doctor of Naturopahtic Medicine. 4538 Saint Urbain (corner Mont-Royal)
- Espace 212 (Outremont) ; a multidisciplinary health clinic providing treatment in Osteopathy, Acupuncture, Kinesiology and Shiatsu, as well as classes in Qi Gong and the Feldenkrais Method of Somatic Education.
- Jennie Anstey (Westmount / NDG) : Visit her website for weekly movement workshops and week-end courses that integrate movement, fluidity and osteopathic concepts.
- Osteoplus: (Plateau) Mathilde Henninot: 1851 Sherbrooke, Est. 514.509.9123
- Equisense (Downtown)
- Bhavana Yoga (Plateau): Specializes in adapted, restorative, therapeutic, Yin and Vinyasa classes.
- Moksha Yoga (Plateau & NDG): hot vinyasa yoga that stretches, strengthens and tones the muscles while helping to detoxify the body and calm the mind.
- Naada Yoga (Plateau/ Mile End) : thriving yoga community with a range of restorative yoga, to classes on the Yoga Wall , to vinyasa classes and yoga with live music.
- Sivananda Yoga (Plateau/ Mile End) : traditional hatha yoga in a sunny studio that has been operating for 60 years, emphasis on meditative experience, pranayama (breathing exercises) and long relaxations.
- Sivananda Yoga ashram (Val Morin) : 1 hour outside of Montreal, beautiful and affordable get away in the country with a weekly shuttle from the Montreal center.
- Shri Yoga – (Westmount) : alignment-based, heart-centered hatha yoga to engage body, mind and spirit.
- Wanderlust Yoga (Plateau/ Mile End) : unique vinyasa; harmonizing creative sequencing, physical and spiritual challenge, and precise alignment, integration of music during the class.
- Integral Yoga (Mile End) : gentle, steady poses and meditative approach. Classes often also include breathing exercises (pranayama), chanting, kriyas, meditation and can be practiced by anyone, regardless of age, size and ability.
Pre and Postnatal Care:
- Nurture Yoga Therapy (NDG)- pre and post natal yoga classes with Jayme Hernandez as well as Couples Birthing Classes
- Equilibrium Yoga (Plateau) – Yoga and meditation for Conscious Pregnancy, Parent & baby yoga classes up to 20 months
- Sivananda Yoga (Plateau/ Mile End) – prenatal classes
- Millie Tresierra – Birth and Postpartum Doula; 514 961-1766
- Mother Wit – pre and post natal doula care, courses and training
Rivka Cymbalist – Doula, pre and post natal groups at her cafe (Peace Cafe on Hutchison in the Mile End)
- https://www.doyogawithme.com – hundreds of free yoga videos to match your style and level.
- Yogaglo.com – Online yoga classes that allows users to select a practice for the heart, body or spirit – to find a practice that reflects what you need in the moment. The first month is free, $18/ month thereafter
Mindfulness & Yoga for Kids, Tweens and Teens:
- Wherever you go, there you are (1995), by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times (2002), by Pema Chödrön
- It’s Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness (1996), by Sylvia Boorstein
- A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook (2010), by Bob Stahl and Elisha Goldstein
- Radical Acceptance (2003) and True Refuge (2012), by Tara Brach. www.tarabrach.com
- Loving Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness (2002), Sharon Salzberg
- Rewiring Happiness by Rick Hanson (2013)
- Insight Meditation Society (IMS) Reading List organized by teachers and/or topics
- IMS audio resources: (teacher talks, guided meditations, podcasts)
- The Mindful Path to Self Compassion (2009) by Christopher Germer
- Self Compassion (2010), Kristen Neff
- A Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself From Chronic Unhappiness(2007), by Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat-Zinn. (companion site with free mindfulness exercises)
- A Mindful Way Through Anxiety (2011), by Dr. Orsillo and Dr. Roemer (companion site with mindfulness exercises)
- The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety (2007), by John Forsyth & Georg Eifert
- The Worry Trap (2007) by Chad Lejeune
- Right Here with You: Bringing Mindful Awareness in our Relationships (2011), Edited by Andrea Miller
- ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) with Love (2009), by Dr. Russ Harris
- The High Conflict Couple: A Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy and Validation (2006), by Dr. Alan Fruzzetti
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love (2008), by Dr. Sue Johnson
- Non-Violent Communications (2003), by Dr. Marshal Rosenberg
- The Conscious Parent (2010), by Shefali Tsabary
- Hold Onto Your Kids (2004), by Gordon Neufeld
- Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children (2011) by Thich Nhat Hanh, Chan Chau Nghiem and Wietske Vriezen
- Whole Brain Child (2011), by Daniel Siegel
- Child’s Mind: Mindfulness Practices to help our Children be more Focused, Calm and Relaxed (2010), by Dr. Christopher Willard
- The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens: Mindfulness Skills to Help You Deal with Stress (2010), by Gina Biegel
- Sitting Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids and their Parents (2013), by Eline Snel; comes with CD
- Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous & Independent Children (2013) by Reid Wilson and Lynn Lyons
- http://playingwithanxiety.com – Free on-line companion book to Lynn Lyons’ parenting book. Great for tweens and teens, to teach strategies to handle normal worries of growing and the tricks of anxiety
- Parenting Your Anxious Child with Mindfulness and Acceptance: A Powerful New Approach to Overcoming Fear and Panic (2009), by Dr. Christopher McCurry and Dr. Steven C. Hayes